Thursday, August 08, 2013

Thịt Bò Nướng Lá Lốt (Vietnamese Grilled Beef Wrapped in Betel Leaves) MY EXPERIENCE




The rolls



So I saw this recipe on my cyber travels for beef stuffed BETEL LEAVES
I was intrigued cause BETEL LEAVES are a intoxicant in many South Asian countries when chewed with Areca nuts, lime and other flavorings. The aforementioned mixture is known as PAAN...
Paan is used EVERYWHERE. Its a legal drug, mouth freshener, when passed around its a deal sealer and wedding sealer...
Literally NOTHING gets done in some South Asian countries without the tin of Paan being passed around.
So the other day I was at the Indian Supermarket and noticed that they sell PAAN ingredients, FRESH BETEL LEAVES! I bought 2, to taste.
I got home and tore a little edge off and stuck it in my mouth and chewed it. OMG such a pop of greeny peppery tongue tingling medicinal flavor! I spit it out to consider if I liked it or not,
About 2 minutes later I swear I felt like  NEEDED to chew some more, so I did, with some Nerds candy, and that time it tasted like a strawberry cigar.
I definitely liked it.
So Thanksgiving came and went and then I went back to buy 6 more leaves and make the

Thịt Bò Nướng Lá Lốt...

 


Here are my rolls with the rice paper, pickled carrot and cucumber and sweet-sour-salty dipping sauce







0 comments: